In attempt to keep busy and avoid another day in front of the TV, I found some fun crafts for us to do together. Funny how these plans can quickly change when working with an almost two year old. I thought he'd like painting this little snowflake with the stamper (from GNO bingo night) since he LOVES making "dots" at school when they use the Do A Dots. No such luck. He made about 4 dots and was off to do something else. We came back to it over the course of the day and got pretty close to filling the white space, but I ended up finishing it myself.
We built a fort, where he spent the majority of his day playing and watching TV. Yes, I gave in. I also gave in to some M&Ms. I've created a monster. Ha!
After a 30 minute nap (typically he naps for at least two hours) he woke up in a funk. He's been fighting a cold and sleep the past two days, so our afternoon was full of crying, whining, and tantrums. We ventured out of the house to do a little Christmas shopping. I think getting out of the house did us both some good!
While we were out shopping, we saw Santa from afar. We've been talking about him, and Garrett "knows" who Santa is, but every time we've asked him if he'd like to go see Santa, he always says, "No." We stopped to watch and wave at Santa. I talked about the little babies that were visiting him and Garrett listened quietly. I was shocked as we walked away and Garrett asked to go back and see Santa. With a shy smile on his face, he reluctantly went to him. He sat perfectly still. Santa asked him a few questions and he mostly just stared. He did manage to tell Santa something about a choo choo as we were leaving.
I wasn't anticipating doing pictures with Santa or I'd have dressed him up a little better, but sometimes it's not about the perfect outfit. We didn't have to stand in a long line with anticipation or frustration building. We got to share a sweet little moment, making our tiresome day special.

1 comment:
Look at that sweet boy with Santa! And isn't that always how it goes...you plan an activity you think they'll love and they're like "Meeh..."
Post a Comment