Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Students

When school started this year I wasn't sure how or if I would tell my students that I was pregnant.  For some reason it just seemed strange to me, and middle school kids tend to make things inappropriate with any chance they get.  So, I decided that I would wait until someone asked me instead of me making a big announcement. 

After several weeks of strange looks from my cheerleaders, one of them finally had the nerve to ask me.  She was very nervous because she was afraid that she'd insult me if I wasn't pregnant by implying that I was "getting fat."  Of course she was relieved that I said yes, and I let her make the announcement to the rest of the girls.  They have tons of questions!  Today they were asking what it feels like when the baby moves, and they asked if they could be in the delivery room.  HA!  I THINK NOT!!  They were even nice enough to make up a cheer for me.  "P-U-S-H, Push it out!"  Nice. 

My 6th grade students took quite a bit longer to notice.  One of my students overheard a conversations I was having with another teacher and heard the news.  She was quick to spread the word.  The next day several of them had made congratulations cards for me to hang up in my room.  They are very excited, and they can't wait for me to bring the baby to visit them. 



Yesterday one of my students came up to my desk to sharpen her pencil, and she was looking very seriously at the A&W Root Beer sitting on my desk.  She said, "Miss, are you supposed to drink soda pop when you're pregnant?"  So, I explained that my root beer didn't have any caffeine, so it would be okay.  She thought for a minute and said, "Well good.  I'll keep that in mind."  Oh dear, let's hope she doesn't need to keep that in mind for a very long, long time!!


1 comment:

Joleen said...

That is so cute!! I love those cards that the kids made you!! How sweet!