Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Club

Several years ago some friends of mine started a book club and I enjoyed the experience so much. I read so many books that I would have never picked up on my own. It has been so long ago that I have forgotten some of the books that we read.


The Red Tent
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Running With Scissors
The Kite Runner
The Handmaid's Tale
The Thirteenth Tale


We decided to start this up again, and tonight we had our 3rd book club meeting. Again, I've enjoyed each of the books that we have read. Our current list consists of:

I couldn't read the last chapter. I just couldn't. I knew what was going to happen, and like Marley and Me, the ending turned me into a blubbering mess.
As an only child I always enjoy reading books about the relationships between siblings. This brought a different perspective of an awkward relationship between two sisters after a tragic accident.
Our latest book was a fun book. Sometimes you just need a light read to make you laugh.


I will be hosting our next meeting, and the book I chose is The Kitchen House. I'm really excited to read it...if I can get my hands on it. Barnes and Noble was fresh out, but they are expecting a shipment later this week. Hopefully it is a good sign that they were sold out! It is so hard to pick out a book. Normally, if I pick up a book to read and I don't really care for it, it's not a big deal. This time there is a little pressure. You want the other people in the group to enjoy the book, and hope that there will be plenty of discussion afterward.


So in the meantime, until my copy of The Kitchen House arrives, I will be reading my second choice for my book pick, Olive Kitteridge.



Happy Reading,

No comments: