Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Move

We received the keys to our rental house the weekend before we had to be out of our house.  We headed strait to the rental to check it out, and I'm so glad that we did.  We'd been to visit the house before, but it was being professionally cleaned, so we only did a quick inspection.  The house was very nice and much larger than the house we previously owned, so we would not have to pay for additional storage.  When we finally arrived to do our inspection, we were overwhelmed with the smell of pet odor.  During our original visit we didn't notice the smell because they were cleaning the carpets, and all we could smell were the chemicals from the cleaners.  I was mortified.  How would we live in a house for 3-4 months that smelled this way!?!  Not to mention the fact that there was NO way I was going to let G crawl around on floors like that.  In addition to the nasty floors, Ryan and his brother opened the garage door letting the smell of rot and decay into the house.  The previous tenant left bags of trash and dog feces in the garage.  No telling how long it had been in there.  Ryan kept his cool, and took care of everything.  I lost it, and took G to the park for some fresh air.


The home owner was contacted, and they agreed to replace the carpet in the main living area.  Two days later they'd installed laminate flooring, and the smell was MUCH better.  They also had the carpets in the remainder of the house re-cleaned and treated.  G's room was fine, and there were no traces of pet odor.  Our bedroom however, was still not to my liking.  Occasionally I will still catch a whiff, but we keep telling ourselves that it is only temporary.  We bought rugs to put down in our bedroom to cover the stains.

The good news is that Hank is LOVING the new big back yard.  I think he was a bit confused at first, but he's adjusting.

The neighborhood is also really nice and safe.  The houses across from us are beautiful.  I took a picture of one of the houses while we were out for a walk.  Stalker...

Our neighbors are really nice too. One of them brought us fresh blueberry muffins, straight from the oven to welcome us to the neighborhood.  

Here are some pictures of our temporary rental house.    




We had lots of help from our families and friends during our move.  Our parents helped us pack and unpack.  Sweet Jeff and Joleen, and Ryan's brother, Chad, helped us with the heavy lifting.  I don't know what we would have done without them.

Ryan's dad stayed the night to help us with the move, and we had him take some pictures of us from our last night/day living in our old house.  I'm going to miss that place!









No comments: