Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mom Thumb?

For the past three weeks I've noticed that my left hand has been tingling and sometimes going numb.  The ligaments around my thumb were extremely sore to the point that I was having trouble opening doors and it was painful to pick up Garrett.  I figured that I just pulled something and that it would get better with time. 
Saturday I broke down and went to Care Now to have it checked out since I was seriously about to cry each time I picked up my sweet boy.  The doctor is pretty sure I have what he referred to as "mom thumb."  Apparently this is very common with moms due to the constant picking up of a baby.  Otherwise, I have a case of carpel tunnel.  He gave me steroids to take for a week, a strong anti-inflammatory, and a brace to wear.  Oh the brace...it is bulky, sweaty, and a pain in the tush!  The steriods have made me swell, so my face, hands, and feet are really swollen. I can already tell a huge difference though.  I haven't had anymore tingling or numbness this week, and there is not much pain when lifting or opening things.  I'll keep wearing the brace when lifting heavy stuff for a while, but hopefully I won't have to keep wearing it long term. 



Awe, the great things about getting older...   

No comments: