Monday, May 14, 2012

SUYL - New Moms

I've been reading Kelly's Korner for years now, and I've always loved to snoop around all of the blog links when she hosts the Show Us Your Life series.  It's so much fun to see how other people live and learn new tricks of the trade.  This week she is hosting SUYL - New Moms.  That's me!!  I hope to find some other new moms that have boys that are the same or nearly the same age as Garrett.  It's always nice to have someone to share experiences with and to make you feel secure when you have "silly questions" about things like poop. 



Being a new mom has been a blessing.  I've enjoyed every single minute of being a mom.  From the hormonal crying to the sleepless nights, I would not change a thing.  One of my absolute favorite things is picking Garrett up from daycare and seeing his face light up when he sees me.  I love seeing him grow, develop, and learn.  No matter how tired I am, as soon as I see that sweet little smile my heart melts and I suddenly have all the energy in the world.  I love seeing him form a relationship with all of his grandparents and relatives.  He's one lucky little fella.

When we found out that we were expecting, I always envisioned that we'd have a little strawberry blond, blue-eyed girl running around.  But from the moment the doctor said we were having a boy, my vision changed for the better.  Now we are looking forward to baseball games, hunting, and learning not to scratch ourselves in public.



I loved getting advice from my mom friends about products that I just HAD TO HAVE. Some of my favorite products that we can't live without are:

Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets:  My friend Tara gave us some of these and they are AWESOME!!  Garrett has never liked having his arms swaddled, but we still swaddle him with his arms out.  These blankets are huge, soft, and are the easiest to swaddle with.  They are made of muslin and are breathable.  They are thinner than most blankets, but keep baby nice and cozy.  We have a ton of blankets, but these are the only ones we really use.  They are kind of expensive, but are definitely worth the expense. 



Summer BabyTouch Digital Video Monitor:  I don't think I slept a wink the first night Garrett slept in his own room.  I did feel better knowing that I could peak in on him anytime with our monitor.  The sound quality is excellent!  The monitor picks up very soft sounds, and you don't have to crank up the volume to be able to hear everything.  The picture quality is great too.  There is an option to zoom in, and I have used this several time when my paranoia sets in and I want to see if he is breathing.  The only thing is that when the monitor is off of the charging station, the battery runs down quickly if the video screen stays on.  We typically keep the screen off when the monitor is not on the station and just use the volume sensor on the left hand side.  We turn the screen on periodically to take a peek.  This keeps the battery from running down.  Ryan has left the monitor off the station overnight, and it did not run out of battery power.

Inchbug Mini Rectangle Labels:  When G started daycare, I completely forgot about labeling everything.  My friend, Tara, also told me about these labels.  You can customize them on their website, and they have a wide variety of cute designs to choose from.  I put them on all of G's bottles.  We have already washed them 100 times, and they are not peeling or fading at all. 


Thirty One Large Utility Tote and Organizing Utility Tote: I received these bags as a gift at my baby shower and they have come in handy.  They are both embroidered with Garrett's initials.  The large tote is awesome for weekend trips to Grandma and Grandpa's house!  We were able to pack all of G's stuff for three days and nights, and still had plenty of room.  And when I pack, I pack EVERYTHING.  The organizing tote I use as Garrett's bag for school.  There are little compartments for all of his bottles, side pockets for his sunglasses (gotta be prepared for the buggy ride), a ample space for blankets, extra changes of clothes, etc.


One of our biggest struggles right now is with Garrett being constipated.  We have tried warm baths, exercises, apple juice, Karo syrup, and finally suppositories.  It breaks my heart to see him cry when he is trying to use the bathroom.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks that have worked for your little ones?

Also, what kind of "activities" do you enjoy doing with your little one?  Any favorite websites for fun stuff to do with babies?  I'm going to be off this summer, so I'd love some ideas.
Looking forward to meeting lots of new moms!

No comments: