Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. We can do it poorly or well - that is up to us. It's the way you love your partner everyday.
Last Saturday Ryan and I took a quick road trip to San Antonio for my college roommate, Tracy's, wedding. Her parents live just outside of San Antonio in Boerne. It is absolutely beautiful there. I love the hill country. On our drive in we were inundated with small moth-like butterflies that were kamikaze bomb diving onto the windshield of my car. We later found out that we passed through the annual butterfly migration. Interesting, but messy.
I am very lucky to have grown up in a household with parents who have been married my entire life. My parents set a great example for me through their relationship. They are respectful to one another and work together as a team. Having been married for only four short years, I am by no means an expert on marriage, but I have learned so many things.
1. Compromising isn't always easy.
2. Sometimes it's better just to listen. Your advice isn't always needed.
3. Without trust, you have nothing.
4. Don't give up on each other. Encourage each other to be better people.
5. Make time for one another.
6. Make one another feel special.
7. Apologize when you are wrong.
8. Don't sweat the small stuff.
9. Give each other space.
10. There is always room for growth in a relationship.
Congratulations Tracy and Dave! May you live a lifetime full of love and happiness.
The Sappington's - October 17, 2009

No comments:
Post a Comment