Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sewing Troubles

Each month I like to post pictures of Garrett in his monthly stickers to track his growth.  This month I tried to find a plain 6 month onesie, and I could not find one to save my life.  I looked at several stores but they were all sold out of his size.  I finally bought a long sleeve one thinking that I could cut off the sleeves and hem them up.  I know, I know...but  I wanted to do an iron on transfer of his stickers so that he could wear it again after his pictures. 

Anyway, I cut off the sleeves and started hemming away.  Garrett was playing on the bed behind me and started to roll off, so I stopped sewing to grab him and put him back on the middle of the bed.  When I turned around my foot hit the pedal on the sewing machine and the needle went straight through my thumb.  The needle was jammed in my thumb, but the machine safety kicked in and shut it off.  I quickly moved Garrett and then tried to figure out how to get the needle out of my thumb.
I'm pretty sure I was in shock.  I had to start disassembling the sewing foot and tried to raise the needle.  Now I never cried, but I really had to focus to keep from passing out or throwing up.  Knowing that little G was behind me playing kept me focused.  I was finally able to pull the needle out of my thumb, wrap it up, and put G in his crib for a nap. 

I had to make an appointment to see about getting a tetanus shot, and luckily there was nothing seriously wrong with my thumb. 

I finally went back to look at the machine a few days later, and I've got some cleaning and fixing to do.  There were actually blood spatters on the machine.  I think I may need a new hobby.  I get the chills just looking at that machine now!

The good news is that I was able to finish G's onesie with the iron on transfer and get some good pictures.  I just used an old onesie that was a bit on the small side, but it worked just fine with all things considered!

No comments: