Saturday, January 21, 2012

Garrett's Birth Story

At 40 weeks and one day, Ryan and I went in at 8:00 pm on Jan. 19th to be induced.  All of the regular L&D rooms were full, so we ended up in this massive delivery room.  When we arrived and they hooked Garret and I up to the monitors, I was already having consistent contractions.  The nursed continued to monitor my progress and went ahead and started the induction process.  Luckily I was able to sleep through the night and was able to take a shower the next morning! 

My contractions were not too bad, and I was able to breath through them for quite a while.  However, the anesthesiologist was due for surgery soon, so I had to make the decision to get my epidural quickly.  The epidural was the worst part of the entire delivery process.  The first time she attempted to insert it, I was in excruciating pain.  She was having a hard time getting it in and my contractions were coming quicker and stronger.   Every time she tried to insert the epidural I felt an unexplainable stabbing pain which was not normal.  Luckily, she was able to move to a new location in my spine and the second time was a hit.  I was finally able to relax and get some rest. 


I wish we had a picture of the monitor when the contractions were stronger (off the chart) and closer together.  There were several times where we began to worry because every time I would have a strong contraction, Garrett's heart rate would drop.  The nurses began to worry and they called my Dr.  I was dilated to a five, but was not making any more progress.  Garrett was "stuck" and was not making his way down.   


The decision was made that it would be in Garrett's best interest to have a C-section.  From here everything happened so quickly.  In no time at all I was prepped and ready for surgery.  The medical staff was awesome and really tried to keep everything lighthearted.  80's music was playing and the Dr's were singing as they worked to deliver Garrett.  Ryan sat by my side holding my hand as the anaesthesiologist gave us a play by play of what was happening on the other side of the curtain.  The Dr. told me that I would feel some pressure like someone was standing on my chest, and the next thing I knew, Garrett was here. 


Ryan was able to stay with Garrett as they weighed and measured him.  They quickly cleaned him off and brought him to me.  He was the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen.   



At 5: on January 20th, we became a family of three.  Weighing in at 7lbs and 9oz of awesome and 21 inches of perfection, Garrett made us the happiest people in the world!


After I was sewn back up, I was taken back to the L&D room for recovery.  Garrett and I spent some quality cuddle time and he was able to nurse for the first time.  I could have held him forever.  Our moms came in fist so I could finish nursing.  Everyone instantly fell in love with little G. 









The next day one of the lactation consultants noticed that Garrett was having difficulty nursing because he was tongue tied.  The pediatrician agreed and they were able to clip his frenulum so that he would have more movement with his tongue. 


In the meantime, we had to syringe feed G.  Ryan was a pro!


So many of our dear friends and family came out to meet little Garrett.  I wish I would have had a "guest book" for people to sign so that we cold remember all that came out to visit.  The nurses at the hospital were amazing and made our experience memorable.   





On Monday, January 23rd we headed home as a family of three. 


No comments: